The historic Detroit home of renowned doctor Benjamin Schenck is now for sale
Sometimes when we hear of Detroit's historic neighborhoods, we just think of them as century-old homes. The history of those homes and who they once belonged to can often times slip right past us.
Well an Indian Village home at 1704 Iroquois St. in Detroit comes with a medical history of its own.
The nearly 9,000 sq. ft. home was originally built in 1911 for Dr. Benjamin Schenck. A native of New York and graduate of Johns Hopkins University, Schenck relocated to Detroit in 1903. Most notably, while a student at Johns Hopkins, Schenck discovered sporothrix schenckii, a fungus that is present in soil and responsibly for causing sporotrichosis (or rose handler's disease) in humans an animals.
During his time in Detroit, Schenck was a gynecologist at Harper Hospital and an associate professor at the Detroit College of Medicine—which we now know as Wayne State University School of Medicine.
The six bedroom home was designed by Alpheus Chittenden and Charles Kotting, the architects most known for designing the Detroit Boat Club on Belle Isle.
The home is listed by Nika Jusufi of Nika & Co.